Armed ViolenceDisplacement & MigrationNews

In 3 Months, 5 Attacks Recorded On Displaced Persons Sites In DR Congo

The UNOCHA says there have been five attacks on sites for displaced persons in Djugu territory of Ituri province in the Democratic Republic of Congo since Nov. 2021.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) says there have been five attacks on sites for displaced persons in Djugu territory of Ituri province in the Democratic Republic of Congo since Nov. 2021. 

According to UNOCHA, the recent attack on the Plaine Savo Displaced Persons Camp in which 56 persons were killed was the fifth attack targeting displaced persons sites.

Between Nov. 2021 and Feb. 1, 2022, similar sites in Tche, Drodro, Duka, Ivo, and Plaine Savo were targeted. 

The attacks resulted in the deaths of at least 58 persons and 13 others wounded, the UN agency revealed.

Following the attack on the Plaine Savo site, about 35,000 persons including those who had been displaced from the neighbouring sites of Lala and Tshukpa were moved to Bule centre.

Djugu territory right now hosts more than 742,983 internally displaced persons.

Ituri is the DR Congo province with the largest number of persons in need of humanitarian assistance numbering 1.9 million, according to UNOCHA.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »