Armed ViolenceNews

UN Condemns Killing Of Rwandan Minusca Soldier By 3R Rebels In Central African Republic

The United Nations has vigorously condemned the killing of a Rwandan soldier serving with the UN Multidimensional Mission for the Stabilization of the Central African Republic, popularly known by its French acronym MINUSCA.

The soldier was killed on Monday in an attack on an operational convoy of MINUSCA in the village of Gedze within the Nana-Mambere prefecture in the northwest of the country. Two other soldiers were wounded in the same attack.

Several sources have accused the Retour, Reclamation et Rehabilitation (3R) group of being responsible for the attack.

In condemning the attack, the UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres presented his sincere condolences to the family of the victim as well as the entire Rwandan people and government.

“The Secretary General recalls that attacks against the United Nations peacekeeping forces can constitute war crimes within the context of international law”, said the spokesperson of the UN Secretary General. 

“He calls on the Central African Republic authorities to not spare any effort in identifying those responsible for the attack with a view to bringing them before the law as quickly as possible”, the spokesperson continued.

The MINUSCA office in the Central African Republic also condemned the attack which it termed “criminal and constitutes a new violation of the accord for peace and reconciliation by the 3R rebel group and its leader Abass Sidiki”.

It should be recalled that late last month, the UN Chief of Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix had raised an alarm over the persistent insecurity in the Central African Republic.

In a declaration to the UN Security Council, Mr Lacroix said such persistent violations of the peace accord would make it difficult for the accord to be implemented.

The UN Secretary General has reaffirmed that the United Nations will continue to support national efforts towards the advancement of peace and stability in the Central African Republic in close collaboration with international partners. 

He wishes for a prompt recovery of the soldiers wounded during the Monday attack.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »