News

Measles Kill 73 Children In DR Congo In First Half Of 2022

Measles has continued to ravage the Democratic Republic of Congo and the country has recorded 6,113 cases and 73 deaths since the beginning of 2022.

At least 73 children have died of measles in South Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo since the beginning of this year, 2022, authorities said.

Six thousand, one hundred and thirteen cases of the disease have been recorded in different zones of the province since Jan. this year, according to health authorities in the country.

“The number of measles cases throughout the province since the beginning of the year is 6,113,” revealed Claude Bahizire, the head of the communication unit in the provincial directorate of health in South Kivu.

“We have already lost 73 children since the beginning of 2022 because of this illness.”


Last week alone, 874 cases of measles were recorded throughout the province with 15 deaths reported. The Fizi health zone remains the epicenter of the illness with 382 cases followed by the Lemera health zone.

“The week that ended, that is, from Monday to last Sunday, the province recorded 874 cases of measles with fifteen deaths,” Bahizire said.

“The Fizi health zone notified 382 cases with five deaths, while the Lemera health zone recorded 229 cases with one death. The Itombwe health zone registered 93 cases with nine deaths while the Nundu and Ruzizi health zones were also affected. The 15 deaths were within a few days.”

The South Kivu provincial health directorate continues to supply the various health zones with the necessary drugs and other needs to combat the spread of the disease.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »