Members of the Boko Haram terror group on Wednesday, laid ambush to travellers along the Maiduguri-Damboa road, which was reopened for use in January, and killed at least four people.
Eight others were injured during the attack that took place at about half past 12 pm, The Sun reported, citing two security sources.
The highway, which connects Maiduguri to southern Borno and other states, including Gombe and Adamawa, was reopened in January by the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt Col Tukur Buratai, one year after it was shut down due to unending terrorist attacks.
“The road to be re-opened today (yesterday); runs into the forest, serving three towns and a dozen communities. Despite the re-opening of this road on April 4, 2016, to members of the public, we had to close it again.
“The closure is an operational exigency to secure and protect people’s lives and property along the affected road,” the COAS had said during the ceremonial opening.
He said the Nigerian Army had been able to secure the road network for motorists and commuters and assured that risks to lives in the area had reduced.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here