Fire Guts Dormitory At Kano State School Of Midwifery
A fire at Kano State College of Nursing and Midwifery, Karkasara,Taurani Local Government Area, on Wednesday night destroyed 16 rooms on the second floor of the female hostel of the institution, known as Sa’idu Fagge Hostel.
Khadija Muhammad, a student and an eyewitness, said the fire started around 6:20p.m. from a toilet and later spread to the rooms.
Khadija said heat from the fire which lasted for over an hour, caused cooking gas cylinders in the rooms to explode and caused serious damage before firefighters arrived to save the situation.
A student of the collage, Abba Bala Bama, told HumAngle that Sa’idu Fagge Hostel had 48 rooms in all with 16 on each floor.
Saidu explained there was an average of five students per room, especially the double rooms, occupied by those in the first year class, while each final year student occupied a single room.
An official of the college told HumAngle that he could not speak on the incident as he lacked the authority to do so but gave an assurance that the management would provide all necessary information after assessing the incident.
Meanwhile, Saidu Muhammad, the Kano State Fire Service spokesperson, said investigation was ongoing on the incident.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here