News

Dr Congo Confirms Effective Withdrawal Of Zambian Troops From Its Territory

The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo has acknowledged the “effective withdrawal of Zambian soldiers” from its territory, precisely from the province of Tanganyika in the South of the country.

The said Zambian troops have been occupying the localities of Kalumbamba and Kibanga since March, 2020.

According to the DR Congo government spokesperson, Jolino Makelele, the withdrawal follows a mission commissioned by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) which was petitioned by the Congolese authorities concerning the border dispute between Zambia and the DR Congo.

“The report of the SADC mission undertaken from July 22, to 29, 2020 resulted in the recognition by Zambia that the territories of Kalumbamba and Kibanga which it occupied belonged to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

“The withdrawal of Zambian troops from Congolese soil was agreed to begin from July 30 to August 4, 2020”, revealed Makelele during a press conference in Kinshasa.

A moratorium of two weeks had been given to the Zambian forces to totally withdraw from Congolese territory they occupied.

“Our competent services and all the responsible Congolese authorities have confirmed the effective withdrawal of Zambian troops”, Mr Makelele declared.

It should be noted that the Kinshasa authorities announced a few weeks ago that the SADC had recognized the sovereignty of the Democratic Republic of Congo over the disputed territories, leading the Congolese government to announce a diplomatic victory in the dispute.

However, the SADC says it is yet to arrive at a final conclusion of the matter. A detailed report by the experts deployed on mission to the zones under litigation was expected since July 23, 2020.

The report was expected to have been handed over to the Zimbabwean President Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa who is in charge of the organ responsible for political affairs, defence and security of the Southern African Development Community. It is still being awaited.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Translate »