Aid Workers In CAR Increasingly Targeted By Terrorists – OCHA
Considered one of the most dangerous countries for humanitarian workers, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is deeply concerned about the humanitarian crises in the Central African Republic.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has raised an alarm over the increasing numbers of attacks against aid workers in the Central African Republic (CAR).
According to OCHA in a statement on Tuesday, Sept. 7, CAR is considered one of the most dangerous places for aid workers, with more than 300 incidents affecting aid workers since the start of this year. The sub-prefectures of Bossangoa, Bangui and Kaga-Bandoro were the most affected, OCHA said.
The UN agency in its last humanitarian bulletin said in the first eight months of 2021, 314 incidents affecting humanitarian workers were recorded, against 267 during the same period in 2020.
Thefts, robberies, looting, threats, and assaults represent 67 per cent of incidents, or 210 out of 314. Interference and restrictions represent the other 33 per cent of incidents, the UN bulletin revealed.
The number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) has never been higher since 2014, OCHA said, now reaching 690,000 persons and even more than 64,000 persons have fled clashes and abuses in recent months, mainly in the prefectures of Basse-Kotto, Haut-Mbomou, and Ouaka.
According to OCHA, one of the consequences of this insecurity on the ground is the continued deterioration of food security since last year.
“Surveillance data suggests that last July the number of food insecure people increased further, reaching 2.6 million. More than half (57 per cent) of the Central African population did not have enough to eat. Of the million people in emergency situations regarding their food consumption, 250,000 were on the brink of famine,” OCHA stated.
It added that despite this “volatile security context,” humanitarian actors in the CAR still managed to provide assistance to 1.4 million people during the first half of 2021.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here