The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) has condemned the attack on the Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina State, Northwest Nigeria by a terror group where hundreds of children were reported missing.
Marie-Pierre Poirier, the UNICEF Regional Director for West and Central Africa in a statement on Saturday, called for the immediate safe release of the children to their families.
Poirier, said “attacks on schools are a violation of children’s rights. This is a grim reminder that abductions of children and widespread grave violations of children’s rights continue to take place in northern Nigeria.”
She further said school children should feel safe everywhere at home, school and their playgrounds at all times.
UNICEF in the statement said it recognised the Nigerian government efforts in ensuring the safe return of the missing children and is also in solidarity with the affected community.
HumAngle recalls that some armed men Friday night invaded Government Science Secondary School in Kankara Local Government Area of Katsina State and kidnapped dozens of students.
The attack on the school and environs started at about 11 pm and lasted for over two hours.
It was learnt that the terror gang invaded the school on foot, unlike previous attacks in which they carried out similar attacks using motorbikes.
Aminu Masari, Governor of Katsina State on Sunday disclosed that a total of 333 schoolboys were yet to be accounted for, calling on parents to come forward if their wards have not returned home since Friday.
President Muhammadu Buhari who is currently on a week-long holiday in Daura, his home town, some kilometres away from Kankara has yet to visit the community more than 48 hours after the incident.
Garba Shehu, the presidential spokesperson had earlier on Sunday announced that the Nigerian troops have launched ground and air operations in search of the terrorists and the missing schoolboys.
On Sunday, a delegation from Abuja, Nigeria’s capital led by Babagana Monguno, the National Security Adviser arrived Katsina on behalf of the Federal Government.
There was also a protest during the day by men and women believed to be parents of students in the school demanding adequate security and immediate rescue of the missing boys.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here