#SudanCoup: African Union Suspends Sudan From Participating In All Activities
The African Union said in a statement on Wednesday that its Peace and Security Council had decided to suspend Sudan's participation in all AU activities.
Sudan has been barred from participating in African Union activities following a military coup in the country until it returns to civilian rule.
The African Union said in a statement on Wednesday, Oct. 27, that its Peace and Security Council had decided to suspend Sudan’s participation from all its activities.
“AUPSC decides to suspend the participation of the Republic of Sudan in all AU activities until the effective restoration of the civilian-led Transitional Authority; Welcomes the release of the PM; Calls for the immediate release of the ministers and civilian officials in detention,” the statement said.
Similarly, the World Bank said it had halted aid supplies to Sudan, the latest blow to the crisis-ridden country struggling to recover from years of exploitation by its leaders.
“I am greatly concerned by recent events in Sudan, and I fear the dramatic impact this can have on the country’s social and economic recovery and development,” David Malpass, World Bank President, said in a statement on Wednesday, Oct.27.
“The World Bank has paused disbursements in all of its operations in Sudan on Monday and it has stopped processing any new operations as we closely monitor and assess the situation.”
On Monday, Oct. 25, the Sudanese military deposed the civian-led transitional government and 140 people were injured in clashes between soldiers and protesters.
Thousands of young people took to the streets in protest of the military takeover, and several have been killed in clashes with security forces.
“We are all on street to protest against the coup, I don’t know what will happen at the end of the day. But it is okay, we will still fight for our rights,” Duha Hussein, Khartoum resident told HumAngle.
On Tuesday, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, Sudan’s Sovereign Council’s head, declared a state of emergency and dissolved the council and government.
He also stated that elections would be held in July 2023.
“What the country is going through now is a real threat and danger to the dreams of the youth and the hopes of the nation,” he said, justifying the takeover.
The United States condemned the coup and called for the immediate release of the people detained. It had also halted aid to the country.
On Monday, Sudan’s military arrested Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and several other cabinet ministers.
After refusing to issue a statement in support of the takeover, Hamdok, an economist and former senior UN official, was taken to an undisclosed location.
Burhan said Hamdok had been returned to his home and put under house arrest for security reasons.
Reuters reported banks and cash machines were shut on Tuesday, and mobile phone apps widely used for money transfers could not be accessed.
The Sudan coup happened after weeks of rising tensions between Sudan’s civilian and military leaders following a failed coup attempt in September.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here