Russian Mercenaries Attack Benzame Village In Central African Republic, Kill 7 Persons
“Hiding in the bushes has not stopped the Russian mercenaries from chasing the civilians into their hiding places.”
Benzambe town in the Ouham prefecture of the Central African Republic has been deserted since Saturday, Oct. 16 following an incursion by Russian mercenaries into the council area.
Local sources say the inhabitants of the Benzambe council area, have for the past two days, been victims of multiple exactions by Russian mercenaries of the Wagner Security Group.
“Some of the people have been forced to abandon their houses to neighbouring villages while others have taken refuge in the bushes,” a local who did not want to be named for his safety told HumAngle.
“Hiding in the bushes has not stopped the Russian mercenaries from chasing the civilians into their hiding places in the bushes and killing them there. They have so far killed seven civilians. There is a humanitarian catastrophe in the making.”
On Saturday, Oct. 16, after the proclamation of a ceasefire by President Faustin Archange Touadera, a patrol of Russian mercenaries from Bossangoa town arrived at Benzambe situated 40 km from Bossangoa and started destroying shops and personal properties of the inhabitants, local sources said.
“They killed cattle and rustled some. They stole solar plates, refrigerators, looted health centres and carted away drugs.”
“As this was going on, the population started leaving en masse for neighbouring villages or to hide in the bushes but the Russian mercenaries in the ‘madness’ decided to chase the fleeing villagers into the bushes where they killed seven of them.”
“Right now, the town is completely deserted and all administrative, commercial and economic activities have come to a standstill. Only the Russian mercenaries can be seen in the town now,” the source added.
Before the Russians arrived at Benzambe, they had ransacked and killed four persons in villages situated between Bossangoa and Benzambe. A total of seven persons had been killed by the Russians since Saturday, Oct. 16.
There has been no reaction from Bangui following these killings and destruction.
Meanwhile, the Touadera government has been piling pressure on the Prefect of Ouham prefecture to make a radio statement denying that the killings and destruction had taken place.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here