Nasir El-Rufa’i, Governor of Kaduna State says his government has finalised plans to block mobile communications networks in some areas of the state.
El-Rufai said on Wednesday, Sept. 29, that the mobile phone ban will not affect the entire state but some local governments where it has been discovered that terrorists move from Zamfara and Katsina states to make phone calls to arrange ransom payments.
In an attempt to intensify crackdown on the terrorists operating in Northwest Nigeria, the government of Zamfara and Katsina states shut down their mobile networks for weeks, but reports indicate that attackers have continued to raid some communities, particularly along the Zamfara-Sokoto and Katsina-Kaduna axes.
Although El-Rufai did not specify which areas would be affected by the network shutdown, Igabi, Chikun, Kajuru, and Kachia are among the most frequently attacked in the state.
The Governor stated that he had already submitted a request to the Nigerian Government, which President Muhammadu Buhari had approved.
Mobile communications services outage in Zamfara and Katsina states has had a tremendous impact on the socio-economic activities in the states.
However, analysts believe that the temporary service outage will help in driving the terrorists out of their enclaves and will help in countering their attacks.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here