The dusk-to-dawn curfew imposed in the Democratic Republic of Congo to force bars, night clubs and leisure joints to remain closed as a preventive measure against the COVID-19 pandemic would remain in place till further notice, the government said.
According to an announcement made on Thursday by David Jolino Diwampovesa Makelele, the Congolese Minister of Communication, the decision to maintain the curfew was reached during a meeting of the multisectoral committee for the fight against the coronavirus pandemic in the country.
Ten members of government took part in the meeting that Prime Minister Ilunga Ilunkamba chaired.
“The pandemic is experiencing a drop in cases. And this reduction in cases is due principally because of the courageous measures taken by the head of state, notably the curfew,” Makelele said.
A decision on all the other anti-coronavirus measures which are currently in place now would be taken and announced by the head of state, the minister revealed.
“The multisectoral committee has arrived at the conclusion that the measures must be reinforced in certain cases and relaxed in others,” he added.
“The quintessence of these measures would be submitted to the head of state who is the one to decide on what would be done. I can for now tell you that the curfew remains in place.”
On the reopening of schools, the minister declared: “Opinions have been expressed. I can tell you that we are on a good footing concerning the preoccupations of parents, students and teachers”.
Whatever that means, schools would remain closed in the Democratic Republic of Congo until President Felix Tshisekedi decides otherwise.
DR Congo has so far recorded a total of 24,026 COVID-19 cases, according to worldometer, with 15,170 cases of recovery and 686 deaths. Globally, there are 107 million COVID-19 cases, 6.01 million recoveries, and 2.36 million deaths.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here