News

DR Congo Army Investigates Murder Of 13 Patients At North Kivu Health Facility

Patrick Muyaya, DR Congo’s government spokesperson, said investigations had been ordered, and armed forces are on the track of those who perpetrated the massacre.

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s national army, FARDC, has announced the opening of an inquiry into the murder of 13 persons, including patients in a health facility in Lume situated in the Ruwenzori sector of Beni territory in North Kivu on Thursday, July 7, 2022.

The revelation was made on Friday, July 8, by Gilbert Kabanda, the DR Congo Minister of National Defense and Ex-servicemen, at the 61st ministerial council meeting, during which the minister gave details of military operations carried out by the FARDC against the coalition of Rwandan defence forces (RDF) and the M23 rebels operating in the Ituri and North Kivu provinces.

“Mention was also made of the last massacre, notably that of Lume, where ten of our compatriots lost their lives. Investigations have been ordered, and our armed forces are on the track of those who perpetrated the massacre,” said Patrick Muyaya, the government spokesperson,  in a report on the ministerial council meeting.

Earlier, the FARDC had killed three Mai-Mai militia during the attack.

Capt. Anthony Mwalushayi, The military spokesperson in Beni,  said the the Dido militia of the Mai-Mai militia was responsible for the attack.

But according to the civil society, the attack was carried out by Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels.

At least 13 persons, including three infants and four patients, died in the attack by armed men who had targeted the Lume health centre. Several houses were also razed down.

The attack started at 9 p.m., according to the mayor of the council, Isse Miyambo, who indicated that the victims were killed in Mwangaza quarter.

The assailants targeted the Lume health centre, which is the most significant health structure in the area, where they executed four patients, confirmed Kile Bwenge, chief of the health centre, adding that four buildings in the centre were burnt down and several persons taking care of patients and one nurse have been declared missing.

Machetes also killed four other persons in the neighbouring village of Kidolo.

The attack is the first attributed to Ugandan ADF rebels in the Lume council area and not far from there; other attacks were reported last week in the neighbouring council of Bulongo on the Beni-Kasindi highway and Kilya.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »