Despite Killings, Kidnappings, Nigerian Government Claims “Winning War Against Insecurity”
The president admitted that as the country's economy continues to open after the COVID-19 related lockdowns, there has also been the resurgence of insecurity in certain parts of the country.
Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari said his administration is winning the war against insecurity.
Buhari spoke on Friday during a televised broadcast to mark Nigeria’s 61st independence anniversary.
The President admitted that as the country’s economy continues to open after the COVID-19 related lockdowns, there has also been the resurgence of insecurity in certain parts of the country.
He, however, said the military in the last few months has been able to conquer terrorists.
“In the last four months, the gallant men and women of the military and security agencies have made tremendous progress in addressing these new security challenges. We are taking the fight to our enemies from all angles and we are winning,” the Nigerian President said.
“Earlier this year, I launched the Integrated National Security and Waterways Protection Infrastructure, the Deep Blue Project, which is designed to secure Nigerian waters up to the Gulf of Guinea. I am happy to inform Nigerians that we have taken delivery of key assets for this project and very soon, its impact will be felt.”
“In the Northeast region alone, over eight thousand Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered.”
The president also spoke on his efforts to recruit more personnel into the nation’s security forces.
“To support our surge approach to fighting banditry, the Nigerian Armed Forces have recruited over 17,000 personnel across all ranks. Furthermore, I have also approved for the Nigerian Police Force to recruit 10,000 police officers annually over the next six years.”
“I am also pleased to note that most of the Air Force platforms we acquired over the past three years have started to arrive in Nigeria. These will positively impact our security operations in all parts of the country.”
HumAngle has in the last few months reported various killings and kidnappings across the country.
In an earlier analysis, HumAngle reported how Nigerians no longer complain about basic amenities but just want to live.
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in 2019 said 1.8 million men, women and children displaced in the northeastern part of Nigeria lack access to water, shelter and other vital resources that make life comfortable.
Meanwhile, the few ones available have been taken over by non-state actors while some terror groups force the shutdown of the education system in the Northwest, Northeast, and North-central Nigeria.
Separatists are enforcing “sit-at-home” in the Southeast and those who disobey them are being killed and have their properties burnt. The insecurity situation is the same in the Southwest and South-south.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here