The Emir of Anka and Chairman, Zamfara State Council of Chiefs, Attahiru Muhammad Ahmad Anka has appealed to the government to allow people to carry weapons to protect themselves.
The Emir said this shortly after he condoled with the Emir of Kaura Namoda, Sanusi Muhammad Asha, who lost eight of his people during an attack on his convoy by the suspected terrorists along Zaria-Funtua road on Thursday.
HumAngle reported that three policemen and two others were among the dead.
The Emir of Anka lamented that the attack was not the first as traditional rulers have frequently been attacked.
“I think I talked to you earlier, this was the second in line,” he said.
“Last year Emir of Pataskum was attacked, here in Zamfara, Emir of Bukkuyum was also attacked and his orderly was killed in the process, I can also remember even Emir of Yauri was sometimes attacked.”
Commenting on the negotiations with the terrorists, the Emir said only people with specific demands are negotiated with not thieves and armed robbers.
He said people are tired of appeals for protection, noting that the only appeal now is to allow the people to protect themselves.
“We are tired of appeals, appeals always, people are making appeals every day, if nothing is done, I think it will be better to allow people to carry weapons to protect themselves,” he said.
Terrorists have been targeting civilian population as well as military formations in recent times.
Support Our Journalism
There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.
To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.
Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.Donate Here