Armed ViolenceNews

Afghanistan: Armed Men Kill MSF Staff, Patients, Officials Blame Recent Attack On Taliban

Seven members of the Afghan security forces were killed on Thursday in an attack officials blamed on the Taliban, the first deadly assault since a three-day ceasefire ended.

The militants attacked a checkpoint in Parwan, north of the capital, said Waheeda Shahkar, spokeswoman for the provincial governor.

HumAngle recalls that on May 12, an unknown number of attackers stormed the maternity ward of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in Dasht-e-Barchi hospital in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Several patients were killed, including at least one MSF staff member, the organisation recounted.


MSF has since condemned the act of violence which has deprived women and children in Kabul of fundamental healthcare services, where access to essential care is already limited.

The maternity ward is located in an area of western Kabul with a population of more than 1.5 million people.

Meanwhile, speaking on the Thursday attack, Shahkar said , “The Taliban have also suffered casualties.”

District police chief Hussain Shah said Taliban fighters set fire to the checkpoint, killing five security force personnel. Two more were shot dead.

But the Taliban have not commented.

It is the first attack that Afghan officials have blamed on the Taliban since the ceasefire — held over the Eid al-Fitr festival — ended on Tuesday night.

According to Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commission, civilian casualties fell by 80 per cent during the temporary truce.

A drop in violence has largely held since it ended on Tuesday night, although Afghan security forces carried out air strikes in the south on Wednesday that killed 18 “militants,” police said.

The surprise truce offer from the Taliban and the lull in fighting has raised hopes that stalled peace negotiations between the insurgents and the Afghan government could begin soon.

Afghan authorities have responded to the ceasefire by releasing some 1,000 insurgent prisoners this week, and plan to further free an equal number of inmates in the coming days.

The Taliban have also said they plan to free a group of government prisoners.

The exchange is part of a US-Taliban deal signed in February, which excluded the Afghan government, that stipulates Kabul would release up to 5,000 Taliban prisoners and the militants would free about 1,000 national security personnel.

Kabul had already freed about 1,000 Taliban inmates before the ceasefire, while the insurgents had released about 300 government captives.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Anita Eboigbe

Anita Eboigbe is a journalist and data analyst with nearly a decade of media and communications experience in Nigeria. She has expertise in human interest reporting, data reporting, interactive content development and media business management. Anita has written for several national and international publications with a focus on communication for development. She holds an honours degree in Mass Communication and several certifications in data analysis and data journalism.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »