Armed ViolenceNews

ADF Rebels Kill Over 20 Civilians In Ituri Region Of DR Congo

Multiple sources said the ADF rebels killed more than 20 persons during the attack in which the Red Cross could not gain access to the site for security reasons.

At least 20 civilians were killed in Ituri province to the northeast of the Democratic Republic of Congo in an attack attributed to rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), HumAngle has learnt.

According to Dieudonne Malangay, Vice President of the civil society in the Walese Vonkutu chiefdom, the attack took place overnight between Thursday and Friday May 13, 2022 in Idohu village but the details were just known on Monday, May 16.

“One survivor of the attack told me of having counted  30 corpses after the attack”, Malangay said in Bunia, chief town of Ituri province.

Red Cross workers who could not gain access to the site of the killings for security reasons, said they could not confirm the casualty figures, adding that they had been informed of the “massacre of at least 30 persons”.

A United Nations source also said all information coming from the region could not be verified but that there were persistent reports of “30 dead”.

The Kivu Security Barometer (KSB), which has experts in the restive regions to the east of the DR Congo, spoke of “at least 20 civilians dead”, in the village of Monge, near Idohu village and “25 other civilians taken hostage” adding that “the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels were suspected to have carried out the atrocities”.

The eastern DR Congo has been gripped by violence for the past 25 years and is the target of frequent bloody attacks by the ADF rebel group, presented by the jihadist Islamic State as their Central African branch.

Since Nov. 30, 2021, after an attack on the Ugandan capital Kampala suspected to have been carried out by the ADF, the Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF) have been carrying out joint military operations with the DR Congo national army, FARDC, in the eastern part of the Congo.

Ituri and North Kivu provinces have since May 6, 2021 been under a state of siege decreed by President Felix Tshisekedi, an exceptional measure which has seen the replacement of civil administrators by military and police officers, but which has failed to bring back peace to the region.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »