News

40 Landmine Explosions Recorded In 11 Months In Central African Republic – UNOCHA

MINUSCA announced during the weekly press briefing in Bangui that UN forces had resumed demining activities in the northwest and west of the country.

There has been a steep rise in landmine explosions in the northwest of the Central African Republic in the past  year.

According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), between Jan. and Nov. 2021, there were 40 cases of landmine explosions resulting in the deaths of 23 civilians including three children, as well as causing harm to 29 other persons in Nana-Mambere, Mambere Kadei, Ouham-Pende, Lime-Pende, and Ouaka prefectures.

The latest such explosion occurred on Monday, Feb. 14, in Ngaoudaye locality where an improvised explosive device went off as a truck passed.

“The truck was carrying goods and fuel from Mbaimboum and was heading to Bocaranga when it hit a landmine in the village of Touga, situated eight kilometres to Ngaoundaye on the Ndim highway.


“The vehicle and its cargo were completely destroyed by the explosion,” said an eyewitness.

On Wednesday, Feb. 2, Gen. Sidiki Traore, Commander of the UN forces in the Central African Republic, (MINUSCA) announced during the weekly press briefing in Bangui that UN forces had resumed demining activities in the northwest and west of the country.

The UN official revealed that a number of successes had already been recorded on the Besson-Niem, Bouar-Niem, Bocaranga-Bozoum, and Niem-Yelewa highways, adding that another demining team had been dispatched to Berberati.

“The fight against explosive devices in the west of Bocaranga and Berberati is going to be intensified in the interest of all,” Gen. Traore said.

On Sept. 8, 2021 MINUSCA had announced the suspension of demining operations within the Nana-Mambere, Ouham-Pende, and Lim-Pende prefectures because of obstacles to the operations.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »