15 % Of Chadian Populace Malnourished – World Bank

The World Bank revealed in its 2021 poverty evaluation report that poverty is prevalent in Chad.

The World Bank says about 15 per cent of the population of Chad is incapable of satisfying their basic nutritional needs of 2,400 kilocalories per day.

The World Bank revealed this in its 2021 poverty evaluation report.

The report revealed that poverty is omnipresent and very severe in Chad to the extent that 3.4 million women and 3.1 million men, representing 42 per cent of the Chadian population, live below the national poverty line of 242,092 FCFA (about $400) per year.

The Chadian population stricken by poverty lives mainly in rural areas where poverty levels vary from one zone to the other.

About 89 per cent of poor households are in rural areas where low-yielding agricultural activities and animal breeding are the principal means of subsistence. In comparison, only 3 per cent live in the national capital, N’Djamena.

“The highest poverty level is in the border regions with the Central African Republic, Cameroon, Sudan, and Nigeria. These zones are affected by conflict and instability in the neighbouring countries, and they welcome thousands of refugees and internally displaced persons,” the World Bank report revealed.

The Mandoul and Logone Oriental regions bordering the Central African Republic play host to 8 per cent and 9 per cent of the poor population of Chad, while Mayo-Kebi and Mayo-Kebbi West, at the border with Cameroon, host a total of 17 per cent of the poor people.

“Due to the concentration of poverty in the Sudanese rural zones, the policies conceived to reinforce the social protection system, make the youths and women self-sufficient and encourage entrepreneurship must target the southern regions of the country and reflect the unique needs of agricultural households,” the report said.

In the past several years, multiple shocks have exacerbated poverty at the regional level. 

The drop in the international cotton prices has seriously affected the revenue of households in the cotton zones such as Tandjile, Logone and Sila, bringing about augmentation in the level of poverty which can be up to 60 per cent in Tandjile.

To combat this unfortunate situation, the World Bank suggests ameliorating access to employment to raise the standard of living of Chadians.

“The amelioration of access to electricity and potable water would contribute to reducing poverty, even if it is at a low level. That is why the government must invest more in it,” the World Bank suggests.

The report notes that in Chad, poor households tend to have many children, and the heads of low-income families are primarily self-employed and less educated.

Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

Of course, we want our exclusive stories to reach as many people as possible and would appreciate it if you republish them. We only ask that you properly attribute to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement. Contact us for enquiries or requests.

Contact Us

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Translate »