Armed ViolenceNews

11 Civilians Killed Within 48 Hours In Eastern DR Congo

The ADF has continued to unleash violence on civilians across different parts of DR Congo.

At least 11 civilians were reported killed by rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) around Beni in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. 

This is despite the stage of siege imposed in the zone since May 6, 2021.

“We have just once again, lost seven persons including one woman, killed in Gala quarter in the night of Saturday, Oct. 23,” said Lewis Thembo, president of the civil society in the locality of Bulongo situated in Beni territory of eastern province of North Kivu.

The night before Saturday, four civilians were also killed near Bulongo in an attack attributed to the ADF. 

Earlier on Friday, the army said they had identified ADF positions in the Ruwenzori sector where the rebel group had looted goods from the civilians and proceeded to attack the positions with heavy artillery.

Shops and a pharmacy were looted by the ‘ADF enemy’ who carried out the attack, said a local who condemned the “failure at the level of the military high command of the FARDC.”

The Mayor of Bulongo, Jean-Paul Kahindo has also confirmed the ADF killings.

“The rebels attack civilians where there are no soldiers. We hit them yesterday and they have been on the run and have started to disturb the population because there were no soldiers around,” said General Bertin Mputela, Commander of the Sokola 1 operational sector in the Greater North.

“Congo is a big country and it is difficult to put a section of the army in every village but we are doing our best to limit the damages,” General Mputela added.

The spokesperson of the army, Captain Anthony Mwalushayi on his part presented a woman whom he said was a Ugandan and wife of a highly-placed commander in charge of intelligence in the ADF saying “she was captured with a baby and 14 other combatants in Kasindi on the border between the DR Congo and Uganda.”


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »