News

107 Civilians Killed In Attacks In Ituri Province Of DR Congo

Since Monday, most of the inhabitants of the villages attacked have moved to the temporary MONUSCO base.

At least 107 persons, mostly civilians, are reported to have been killed in different attacks on Sunday, Nov. 21, in Djugu territory of Ituri province in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

According to the Kivu Security Barometre (KSB), the attack on the Drodro site for displaced persons left about 18 persons dead while their huts were completely razed by yet-to-be identified militia.

Many of the displaced persons who were housed in the Drodro site that was built in 2017 have found refuge in Roo, about 15 km to the temporary base of the United Nations Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO).

“The attack started around 3 p.m. and the militia operated right into the night,” an official of the site who has been displaced revealed.

“They burnt down all the huts. There is nobody in Drodro right now and we are here in Roo now.”

The Drodro site housed more than 16,000 displaced persons and the army intervened late after the militiamen had “done their worst.”

Other attacks took place in Jissa and Largu villages, and “several corpses are still in the bushes,” according to one source.

Army sources say 12 persons were killed in the attacks on Jissa and Largu.

The KSB says it has compiled a list of 107 persons killed, “a majority of them civilians.”

Since Monday, Nov. 22, most of the inhabitants of the villages attacked have moved to the temporary MONUSCO base in Roo which normally houses more than 21,000 people.

The spokesperson of the UN Mission, Mattias Gillman, has confirmed that two supplementary companies of UN forces have been sent as reinforcement to Drodro.

KSB says all the casualty figures of the attacks released so far are provisional because the search continues for corpses in the villages attacked.

Violence continues to mount in Djugu territory despite the state of siege declared in the eastern DR Congo on May 6, 2021 by President Felix Tshisekedi.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Translate »