News

UN To Remain In Butembo Despite Exit Announcement By Regional DR Congo Government

Anti-MONUSCO protests continue in Butembo, with at least 17 civilians and several security officials killed. The exit announcement was followed by an appeal for protests to cease, but MONUSCO says it is still in Butembo.

The United Nations Organisation Stabilisation Mission to the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) has announced that it is not leaving Butembo despite an announcement by the military governor of North Kivu, Constant Ndima, on Thursday, August 18, 2022, that MONUSCO forces were leaving the town.

According to the interim MONUSCO spokesperson, Ndeye Khady Lo, MONUSCO will only move some of its equipment and personnel from Butembo to other sites in the country, notably Beni.

“We are not leaving Butembo. We are rather deploying some of our materials to another site. We are still supporting the DR Congo army, FARDC, in Butembo and elsewhere in North Kivu,” Ndeye Khady Lo revealed.

Recently, anti-MONUSCO protests which started on July 25, 2022, in Butembo, led to the deaths of at least 17 people.


During a press briefing yesterday morning in Butembo, the military governor of North Kivu, Constant Ndima, announced the withdrawal of MONUSCO forces from Butembo and revealed that most essential personnel of the mission had already left Butembo. He added that the few MONUSCO material still left in the town would soon be moved to Beni. He thus called for protests to cease.

Concerning last Friday’s violence that led to the deaths of soldiers and police officers, the military government said it resulted from confusion over the movement of a MONUSCO convoy and called for the youths to be vigilant, assuring them that the departure of MONUSCO was already underway.

Constant Ndima had, since Monday, August 15, been on a visit to Butembo following the violent anti-MONUSCO protests. In three days, the military governor had exchanges with various social groups, especially the urban security committee, the civil society, religious confessions, the media, citizen movements and stakeholders to bring an end to the crisis following the anti-MONUSCO protests and the attack on the Butembo central prison by Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels which led to the evasion of over 800 inmates.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »