News

ADF Rebels Kill 4 Persons In 2 Attacks In North Kivu, DR Congo

The first attack was on the night of Monday in the Bulongo council of Ruwenzori sector in Beni territory of North Kivu. The assailants looted and burnt down 20 houses.

Suspected rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) killed four persons in two separate attacks in North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday, July 11, and Tuesday July 12.

The first attack was on Monday night in the Bulongo council of Ruwenzori sector, Beni territory of North Kivu. The assailants looted and razed 20 houses.

According to Lewis Essimo, the president of the Bulongo civil society, the attack began at 10 p.m. local time.

He said the attackers targeted Matonge part of Kambalango quarter.

Essimo told HumAngle the four civilians killed were attacked in their houses. Some of them died of bullet wounds, others from machete cuts.

“Commercial houses were looted before being set ablaze while the assailants watched them burn to the ground,” he added.

The attack was the fourth targeting the Bulongo council since last month, and civil society leaders accused ADF rebels of being behind all the episodes.

The attack came a few days after the one the Lune council,  resulting  in 13 persons’ death.

In a related development, an armed gang wounded two civilians on Tuesday, July 12, evening during an attack on the Baida and Rwangoma quarters to the east of Beni town in North Kivu.

Gunshots started resonating at 6 p.m. local time, and the identities of the attackers are not known were yet.

Capt. Anthony Mwalushayi, the army spokesperson in the zone, confirmed the attack and said  the government troops pushed back the rebels.

“The two civilians wounded by bullets were rushed to the Beni general hospital where they are receiving appropriate medical attention,” Capt. Mwalushayi said.

The attack was the first ecorded in Beni town after over two years of relative calm.

ADF and Mai-Mai militia are operating in the zone.


Support Our Journalism

There are millions of ordinary people affected by conflict in Africa whose stories are missing in the mainstream media. HumAngle is determined to tell those challenging and under-reported stories, hoping that the people impacted by these conflicts will find the safety and security they deserve.

To ensure that we continue to provide public service coverage, we have a small favour to ask you. We want you to be part of our journalistic endeavour by contributing a token to us.

Your donation will further promote a robust, free, and independent media.

Donate Here

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Translate »